Sunday, August 05, 2007

We made it

We made it through the shower. It wasn't too bad. My MIL was actually pretty relaxed for her. My SIL and MIL seemed to get along fine and all went pretty well. My MIL was a little miffed that more people from my work didn't come but as it was we had the perfect number of people to fit on the patio and no one had to sit out in the bug filled grass. I still feel bad for my poor FIL. He really did a lot of work getting things cleaned up outside. I am sure he did it all too. Poor guy!

We got lots of good stuff. I think we have close to enough diapers to make it through the first month. Funny, no else thinks I am going to have a small baby either! My mom was the only person that bought newborn diapers! It was really hot though and that made it a bit uncomfortable. It also kept the guests from lingering, but I suppose that was fine. Everyone was out early enough to get whatever they needed to do for the day done, including me. Actually, I wanted to do nothing, but instead I went shopping for necessities. I wanted to get started on thank yous, but I was too tired. I also wanted some time to myself, but my mom lingered at my house until quarter to nine! By that time I just assumed she was planning on staying the night again. (she just does whatever she wants you know) She kept caring on about how much the baby has grown since she saw me on Monday. At least she isn't saying "look how fat you are" or "you are huge!" You can still hear what she is saying even if for once in her life she is choosing appropriate words.

My sister is worried about me getting my bag ready for the hospital and has taken it upon herself to help me pack all the way from New Mexico. Actually that is fine, because I don't know what the heck I really need and she has done this three times. So far my bag only had some underwear I bought that I hope will fit afterwards and all most of the toiletries I would need. I have been trying to figure out what I need to do for bras and she told me exactly what to do and that I had to get them ordered yesterday. I have been looking, but again I am having bra troubles. I need the instruction guide for my body. I don't have a clue what size I will need when these things start making milk! Then again you have the problem that it seems like no two brands size the same way and I was lost. I ended up ordering more than $450 in bras. That was for 10 bras. Three different styles, but several different sizes. She told me I should take a bra that fits me right now and one that is a cup larger. I am hoping with the 10 bras that I can find two that will work! I don't understand why sizing isn't more universal when you get past a D or DD.

I seemed to have a lot of trouble with things coming off my registry. However, I didn't get anything in duplicate that wasn't fine to get (lotion, wash, wipes, etc) I did have to go through all the gifts and go back and mark things off myself. The thing is, someone would buy several items and half of them would be recognized by the computer system. Like I said, it worked out fine for me, but some of the guests seemed to be a little frustrated. I know I made at least 10 adjustments. That isn't very helpful of the store is it? I can understand if someone forgets to hand in the paper or if two people happen to be shopping at the exact same time.

Well, off to do some laundry. That is what my mom really wanted to do last night. She wanted to wash all my new things and fold them and organize things for me. Have I ever mentioned when I was little and my parents were getting divorced my mom had a pretty severe organizational OCD? My mom still finds great comfort in folding. The thing is, my MIL didn't write down very well who gave me what and I kept everything in the bag with the card so I can make sure and write appropriate thank yous. (funny how I only got two things that didn't come in gift bags!) My mom was just itching to dig into those bags and pull out all the onesies, towels and wash clothes, blankets and clothes. I was torturing her by keeping her away. Maybe she shouldn't have implied a half dozen times that I have become a whale.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

How funny...my mom finds comfort in ironing. I swear, she'd iron every item in my closet if I asker her to! And she loves to come and clean my house. Right after I had the babies, she came and polished all of my wood furniture. I never do that!!!!
I am glad the shower turned out well and that you got lots of good stuff :) Now the fun begins of getting everything in it's place...and the thank-you's. I am still writing mine. I just can't get motivated to finish them but it's my goal to have them done by the time the girls come home!
As far as what to bring to the hospital, I was just so glad to have my nice, comfy pj's. And one of my own pillows.
Bras are SO expensive; I hate buying them. Daniel accidentally threw away my only strapless bra when we were at the hospital and it was my favorite. I have no idea what brand it was though so I have to start searching for it.
Have a great week!

Carol said...

Mothers are so funny. Mine is a bit obsessive about the laundry too - always doing ours when she's at my house. at her house she does laundry every day, we do it maybe once a week. at christmas - she polished all my silver.

I'm kind of lost on the whole bra thing too. I have three nursing bras I bought at a local store, that are supposed to fit when ready - right now they're a bit big.

The shower sounds like fun. I've started writing my thank-you's, it's going to take me forever to get through them though.