Monday, August 13, 2007

Tick tock, here we wait

I had a terrible time sleeping last night. It is so stinking hot and humid at night in our house. Sometimes I am lucky if I can make it 2 hours without having to get up to go to the bathroom. Each time I wake up the hip that is down is just killing me too. Not much I can do I guess. These are some of the "normal" parts of pregnancy that I actually get to experience.

When I got up this morning you could see and taste the air in the room. What do I mean. Well, we have two windows in our bedroom, one on the north and one on the east so we do occasionally get some cross ventilation. So this morning it was incredibly foggy outside. It was also foggy in my bedroom. I have never seen that before! The fog was so think you could taste it. Actually for just a moment I was afraid there was smoke in our room, but that was only a split second. Funny, because now the humidity is back down where it should be for these parts, below 15%. It is also 100 degrees, but at least it isn't humid.

I didn't manage to go out before my charge nurse because she was back today, but she was actually in a very good mood. Apparently she feels better! Good, I'm glad. I would be so happy if this would last a week! We will see.

My sister called me yesterday afternoon and that surprised me. I talked to her while waiting at the crappy cell phone place on Saturday morning so I wasn't expecting to talk to her again so soon. She had just gotten off the phone with my mother and she felt she needed to warn me and get me prepared. I have to call my mother and set some boundaries with her. Great, she just ignores you! It is funny, in a pathetic sort of way, I was asked as an assignment in nursing school to "draw my personal boundaries." How the hell do you draw that?!? I didn't know. I didn't do the assignment. Part of the problem was that I had such poor boundaries. Well, working as a nurse for a few years has helped me establish a few. So has maturing, period. I still have the tendency to go out of my way to help my coworkers and be accommodating, but I have some very clear boundaries as well. That is something we all need to have, right? So I am going to have to slam down a wall with my mom. Mike and I have been extremely accommodating to our families. We work very hard trying to please everyone and some how I always seem to come in last. Not Mike, just me.

Anyway, with my sister coming I knew my mom would take advantage of the situation. I don't expect my sister to travel all this way and have my mom only live an hour and a half away and have to two not meet. I knew I was going to have to put up with my mom as did my sister and still she was nice enough to plan to up and help me. There in lies the key. She is coming up to help ME with my new baby! She is not coming up for a family reunion. My sister said that my mom is planning on picking my sister up at the airport on Saturday and then everyone will stay at my house for the weekend and my mom will go home on Monday evening. No, I don't think so. My sister asked my mom is she had talked to me about this. My sister informed my mom that maybe she better talk to me about this before she makes any plans. Like I said, I knew it would be inevitable, but the first stinking person my sister sees when she gets off the plane is not going to be my mother. I am going to have to inform my mother that she can come to my house on Sunday, but not Saturday. My mom was telling my sister that they could share my spare bed or that my mom could sleep on my couch. Well, she may sleep on the couch on Sunday, but not Saturday. We will see who will be more stubborn. My mom can chooses to ignore your wishes sometimes or she decides that she will be offended. I guess she will just have to be offended, because it just isn't happening. I think I deserve to have a say about my life and my house guests. I would like my sister to be able to have a day of "peace" (whatever that is when you have to travel and then coming into a house with a newborn) before having my mother shoved down your throat. I feel like I owe that to my sister.

I have to get up and move. I took my support hose off when I got home and now sitting here in this chair my left ankle and foot are swelling something awful. I can't wait for that part to be over!!! Mike looked at my feet last night and actually got up out of his chair so I could put my feet up. Did that mean he helped me do anything else? No. I cleaned the entire bathroom and kitchen. I did a ton of his laundry. I put together the swing. I cleaned in Jake's room. I moved some things to the basement. I went on six walks with dogs. I FINALLY got the car seat put in my car. I finished writing thank yous and I wrote a bunch of cards among other things. What did Mike do yesterday? I'm not really sure. I know he slept until almost noon (but he did get home from work at like 2am). I know he went to visit his friend I can't stand and he hung two curtain rods in the baby's room. That is all I know he did for the entire day yesterday. There was much sitting in the chair. Some talking on the phone, but it seems like a whole day wasted. I think he spent all of today sleeping until I came home and he went to work. Oh well, I guess...

No comments: