Saturday, April 14, 2007

Be careful how you drink, or at least I have to

Unfortunately, I am somewhat superstitious so I don't really like Friday 13th. Obviously mine didn't go well. I have no control over the left side of my face now with two exceptions. As of this moment with a lot of effort, I can still blink my eye. I frequently have to help my eyelid with my finger so it closes all the way, but I have been able to open it without problem. I can still move my jaw. That I wasn't worried about because it is a different nerve. The blinking is just "lucky." Sometimes you don't lose complete control of that too.

This morning I was calm enough to look on the internet and I found out it is those damned cold sores that I have been cursed with. Not exactly, but it is usually Herpes Simplex 1 (which most of us have even though some of you out there are lucky enough not to get the cold sores) that is by far the most common culprit of this "problem" I now have. I called one of the ENTs I talked to yesterday. I felt a little bad about calling today, but she assured me that time is important now. I am not going to get quite as much of the medication as they usually give, but she said she would watch me closely for two weeks and if things don't get start improving quickly she can give me more according to the OB (the one I don't like is still on call, figures).

I got a massage this morning for my still sore neck. The massage therapist came in for me today. I had never even heard of her before yesterday. I thought that was very nice of her. I obviously told her that 1. that my doctor said I should get it done and 2. she asked who referred me and I told her another doctor. Sometimes, especially in smaller towns, that can really help you. My neck feels so much better. She is in a chiropractor's office (her ex husband!?!). He does a lot of acupuncture, which I had heard, but I also heard that it is VERY hard to get into their office. She really thought acupuncture would help me. I have never tried it but right now I would pretty much try anything. That sounds bad. I know many many people that are very firm believers in acupuncture. I have no experience, but am more than willing to try. It would make sense that it would help since this is a nerve problem. If there is anything I can do to help make sure I can smile by the time Tiger is born I will do it.

So now I am off to get my nice herpes medicine and steroids. I got some val.trex before my wedding last year so I wouldn't have a cold sore in all my wedding pictures. I was so embarrassed going to pick that up. At least they will see half my face doesn't move, besides, I don't suppose many ENTs prescribe for the genital variety.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

What a weekend! I imagine it must be pretty scary to go through what you went through on Friday but it's a good thing you are in the medical field and knew what the possibility was. I hope that everything clears up soon so you can enjoy the last half of your pregnancy : )
Hope you are feeling better today, physically & emotionally. You've been through a lot so it's time for the tides to turn for you!