Thursday, April 19, 2007

Back at it

I had my first night of call last night in forever. It was back before my surgery, probably six or even seven weeks ago. I have only missed it on my paychecks. We had to work pretty much the entire night and it has kicked my ass. I was able to go home from about 1700-1915 and then had to stay until a little after 2200. I came home and was trying to relax and get ready for bed. I didn't make it. I had to go back at about 2300. I left work again at about 0115 and absolutely had to get some gas to get back to work in the morning. I came home and get less than 30 minutes of sleep before they called us back again at 0215. We finished up about 0430. Then what do you do? You are so exhausted but you know if you go home you might be in trouble. My alarm normally goes off at 0515 and I tend to snooze it once. The problem is if you lay down you might not wake back up. Well, since we couldn't get any food at work at that time I decided to come home. I did lay down. I set my alarm ahead and just decided there would be no shower this morning and my husband would have to help me with the dogs and that was going to be it.

I laid there and my face spasmed and twitched and pulled. I was having so much trouble by the end of the night with my eye I knew that no matter what I needed to just close it for awhile. That is pretty much what I did. I got maybe 10 minutes of sleep and because of all the spasming and then I got up and let Mike sleep and took the dogs for their morning walks. I had forgotten to fill the blanket warmer before I left and I was feeling very bad about that so I had to get to the hospital and fill the warmer so we weren't behind from the very get go. For the first time ever they let me go almost immediately. I couldn't believe it. I was in a short room with two cases (one patient however was having a bilateral foot surgery so it would take longer, but still). I thought we would have to stay until those were done or the first of our late shifts came in. I was shocked and so happy. I came home and got straight in bed. Mike didn't let me sleep very late though. He kept pestering me. I don't sleep like he does where you can wake him up and gain useful information and he is virtually none the wiser. He hardly ever remembers when I wake him up. I, on the other hand, have a difficult time going back to sleep and he kept waking me up to tell me what he was going to do.

I love Mike dearly and he did something very nice for me today in a sad way. He bought me a pair of not so ugly sunglasses to wear over my glasses since I can't wear my contacts. I didn't want "old lady sunglasses" but I do know that I can hardly see at all right now with sunlight. I can't focus either of my eyes and they both start watering. It is awful because I leave work at about 1500. He took me to the eye doctor's office and spent way too much money on the least ugly pair we could find. I just keep hoping it will suddenly be all better.

Anyway, like I said, I love him dearly, but he drives me nuts when he is home too long. With his vacation starting I am not exactly looking forward to it. He gets cranky for being home too long. He loses his pace about trying to get anything accomplished and every single day I come home and my house is a disaster. That is the thing that bothers me the most. I come home and it looks like a tornado has hit when it wasn't like that when I left. I am usually still walking in the door when he asks me about what my plans for dinner are. Well, first thing, let get in the house and second it seldom even 1600! What he does is sleep in and then eat a very late breakfast or just lunch and he gets hungry early. Oh well, I still love him and am glad to have him around. I just know I am going to be tired by the end of his vacation.

No comments: