Saturday, September 30, 2006

Retreat

Fall is my favorite season. I like spring too, but fall is the best. I love the crispness in the air. I love the colors of the changing leaves. Yesterday, after I got off work, I was lucky enough to be able to go up to my church's camp at Chadron right on the State Park. Chadron is very beautiful, especially with the fall foliage. I went with two of my good friends and coworkers. We went last year too, but this year was so much better it is hard to compare the two.

The retreat is always organized by the women's group at church but they have a guest speaker sets up the program. As is true with most small towns, the majority of the women are older - mostly retired or housewives. Last year they were tickled to death to have us young girls there. This year a number of the women brought their daughters and daughters-in-law so that was great. I was still the only one under forty, but that was fine.

Our speaker was incredible. Her name is Joy Carol. She is an amazing woman that has had an unbelievable life. She told us that she had gone to high school with two of the women there and I couldn't believe it. I'm not saying that either of the other two women looked bad, but they look appropriate for their age. She was talking about knowing these women for fifty years. I thought I heard her wrong because she doesn't look fifty and that isn't because of any "facial rejuvination." This woman is 68 and looks and acts a good twenty years younger. She does have a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience. She grew up in Nebraska but has since lived all over the world. She lives in New York City now.

She has a book that is being release tomorrow called The Fabric of Friendship. It deals mostly with women and their relationships with other women. She is also a minister and she is preaching at a church in town tomorrow. I think I want to go and listen. I bought a book, but I think I would like to go get more to give to some of my friends/family.

I am so glad I was able to go to the retreat. I really needed to get out of town. It is also wonderful to get to know all these women better, especially away from home. The camp is so beautiful. I can't wait to send my kids there some day. I loved camp as a kid. There are a lot of good hiking trails. I climbed "The Mountain" at 0630 this morning in search of a signal on my cell phone. I just barely got one bar if I stood in one spot and leaned back and didn't move. I only had about five minutes of talk time though because my stupid battery drained from the phone changing to analog. I didn't take my charger. I only charge my phone about every five days with heavy use at home.

I am already looking forward to next year.

No comments: