Monday, September 11, 2006

My Furry Family

This is our new baby. It is Mike's dog, but I am the one home most of the time. I am proud though, Mike has gotten up early with the puppy the last two days. I have gotten up with him in the middle of the night, but who is keeping track. Mike had a difficult time picking a name for the little guy and decided on Sparkplug. I thought we should go with Sparkpug. Yes, I know I am the one that doesn't like puns. Come on! It seems appropriate. Anyway, he goes by Sparky and he is already spoiled rotten. He obviously sits on the furniture. He wants to be held when it is time to go to take a nap. He wants to go to sleep at night in the bed. He most certainly does not want to get in his kennel. He already likes to chew shoes, furniture, fingers, chins, toes, pillows, his leash and Molly's leash. This morning he pulled Molly's leash across the living room. Molly's leash is big and heavy! Molly wants to play with him so badly and she tries. There is about a 90-95 lb weight difference. (Molly hasn't been on a scale in awhile - what girl wants too!) Sparky ends up being a big slobbery mess after Molly gets done with him. Poor Molly though, this has meant more kennel


time and less play time. Sparky keeps trying to get in Molly's kennel and I was afraid of how she would react. She didn't do anything at all. One of Sparky's favorite toys is an old bone of Molly's that she loves to chew. She doesn't react to his dragging that around either. I am surprised how well they are doing. Molly even gave Sparky her ball (as seen above) to throw for her! I won't leave them alone in the same room though. Molly is just so big and what if he does something she doesn't like.

I can tell the cats feel like they have been violated yet again. Poor Lois has had a rough life. When he came to live with me it was his fourth move and home. He was used to being adored and spoiled as the lone cat. He had a large, disgusting collection of furry mice that he had to give up. He had to come into a house with two other cats. He and the old crusty one didn't hit it off well at all. But he took to the kitten I had only had for two weeks very well. Actually, I think he thought he was her mother. He let her comfort suck on him and he took care of her. He even eventually took care of crust old Schlockie. He raised another kitten after that. Poor Gwen couldn't adjust to moving to the house, getting Molly, and Mike moving in. She went to live with my mom.
Lois is such a sweet old man, but he sure has a naughty side when he thinks you aren't looking. (By the way, I did not name the male cat Lois. He came to me with that name). Lois will come up as close as he dare to Sparky to try and sniff him or figure what we have done now. Lois definitely likes to watch Sparky, especially when he sleeps. Sparky has gotten in a few good chases too.
Ophelia (aka Ophi) is doing a little better than I thought she would. She has pretty much taken up residence on a dining room chair. But that has been long before Sparky's time. She is already hiding from Molly and Mike. Before we moved to this house she was a much more social cat. She used to come out and great people. Now she only comes out when the dogs are in their kennels and I am alone. That makes me sad. I make sure we have good quality time everyday though. She knows that Sparky is too small to get up on the furniture and will get on the couch when she feels it is safe. She climbed up on me yesterday and it took her a second to realize that Sparky was sound asleep on my chest under one of her paws. My sweet Ophi.

We have a stray cat that adopted us. I suppose it has been two years ago so he probably isn't stray anymore. He isn't too sure of Sparky either. I call him Cat. I didn't know how long he would be around so I didn't want to get too attached to him. He is a pathetic cat. I would like to catch him and get him neutered. He will rub on my leg but he is still pretty wild. I tried to get a cat trap to catch him but I can't get one and get my cat back!

No comments: