Friday, September 15, 2006

Mike and My Cameras


I never know what I am going to find on a camera when it is about in the house. Mike gave me a pretty decent digital camera for Christmas a few years ago. I also have a regular camera I spent quite a lot on a number of years ago. It is one of those that you can change the size of the picture. I don't remember what it is called, but I have never been too impressed with it. Anyway, I also tend to have a disposable camera here and there that can be used when you don't want to risk the expensive one. Point being, there are multiple cameras in the house.

Mike likes to take self portraits. The better you can see up his nose the more proud he is of his pictures. With the digital camera this isn't such a big deal. I can view the pictures and erase at will. (I am holding some in reserve just in case I need some pictures for ... persausion someday). However, there have been times when I pick up pictures that have been developed and can't preview them before another person sees them. For example, I had a roll of film started in the camera
and I needed to take some pictures of people for a going-away album. A memory book where people could write a message under there picture kind of thing. I dropped the film off for one-hour developing and another person involved with the book picked the pictures up. Thank goodness these shots are taken of the shoulders and face, generally. I don't remember seeing one where Mike doesn't have a shirt on but... there could always be a first time. I just don't some poor other soul to find that picture first. (the poor people at Walgreens).

Mike's family has a photo tradition that I am affraid will be passed on to my children as well. I understand that Mike's grand father started it many many years ago. His grandfather passed away more than twenty

years ago, I believe, but the tradition thrives. I will confess, much to my own shame, that I too participate in family candids. The tradition is to flip the camera off in a not so obvious way. I disappointed my mother-in-law by participating in this. She took a picture of me with a cake at a bridal shower she and my sister-in-law hosted for me and I got the finger in the picture without her noticing. This is not how I was raised. Not at all. We all have a lot of censoring to do before anyone has a baby in this family! I have a fear that some of the people won't be willing to censor. Oh well, we aren't there yet.

No comments: