Monday, September 18, 2006

Oops!


Today I did something I have only done one other time. I didn't wake up to go to work. I was mortified. I am not replaceable in my job, there isn't someone to do it for me.

Saturday was my first day of work since being off to have wrist surgery. My shift started at 0630 and I didn't get out until almost 1900. We worked hard too. Some people seem to get easy Saturdays and weekends. Not my weekend team. We get the worst. Long hours and hard cases - bad cases. The cases weren't as bad as they could have been but it wore me out. This is the tenth month, since I have been keeping track, that we have had a hard weekend. I didn't get called back in and I was really relieved. Saturday was my mother-in-law's birthday so I went and at dinner with them when I did get off work. We went through wedding pictures since Mike's grandma was there. Mike was at work though. We had cake and ice cream and then I laid down on the couch and took a nap for about an hour. I got up, went home and took the dogs out and went to bed. Sparky made me get up about 0330 to take him out and then again at 0700. Then I toiled over staying up and going to church or going back to bed. I haven't been to church for awhile but I was still tired. Well, I went back to bed. I slept until almost noon! I couldn't believe it! I felt bad for poor Molly because she hadn't gone out since the night before.

So I tried to make up for lost time and get all my stuff done and went to bed by 2200. Sparky made me take him out at 0130 and again at 0500. I knew I shouldn't go back to sleep then but I figured I could get another 35 minutes sleep. I must have turned off my alarm because the next thing you know I was dreaming about being late for a class. I was trying to assemble a three tier cake, but some of my classmates were getting mad at me because I was going to be late. The next thing I know there is this noise and I am thinking "that doesn't sound like my alarm" That is because it was the phone and my charge nurse calling to see if I was coming to work. I made it to work in less than ten minutes. I felt so bad. Thank god my patient wasn't ready. Two of my friends had helped set up my room and I thought I had to run after the patient but thank goodness I didn't. My room ended up not starting until 0730, but it wasn't because of me. You have an awful day then. I was supposed to be on call to day but I gave it away. My arm is bothering me and I still feel two steps behind.

No comments: