Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Hormones, work, stress!

I don't know what it is but I have been a mess today. My face is really hurting. I was really sick this morning and I have just been a mess. I had myself a little meltdown at work. I just started crying while listening to a group of grown women bicker for 20 minutes about whose turn it was with the microwave. My head hurt and they just would shut up. I cried and gave up and went back to my OR without getting to eat lunch. There were still two people in front of me in the microwave line. I only get 30 minute lunch! The stupid thing was that half of the people in the room were actually in surgeries. The other half had finished or weren't assigned rooms. Tell me who do you think got the microwave first???

I wasn't even back in my room for 45minutes before one of the unassigned people came and told me I had to go to my boss's office because she needed to talk to me. Great. She started out being all nice, but I knew something was coming since she sent someone in and she closed the door. She said she knew things have been difficult and she heard that I was upset. Is there anything "we" can do for you? Gee, I tried to talk to her before and she was nasty as hell??? Here it comes I am thinking. I took an instrument to the instrument room. It had been labeled incorrectly and when we opened it we didn't want it. The people that work in there said I was rude to them!!! This was the last thing I thought was coming. I didn't do anything. I was trying not to bother two people that were working. I was trying to help them by taking it to where the clean instruments are kept and I couldn't get in the door because it was blocked by a giant cart. So I told them it was clean and that it had just been labeled wrong so it just needed to be put up again. I asked them where I could put it and they told her I was nasty and just slammed it down on these totes. I just stared at my boss. Of the many things I MAY have done this wasn't one of them. She pulls out a whole bunch of instruments like the one I took them and asks me to identify them as to which one is it we were needing and which one I took them, like I didn't know what the hell I was doing. She told me I needed to watch my tone with them because we can't afford to lose any more of our aides. I was shocked because I hadn't done anything wrong, but at the same time, after being around my husband for so long, I wanted to ask her if she thought nurses - experienced and department oriented nurses - grew on trees! My husband was not pleased when I told him my little story. It is funny, or scary, how many of the husbands of my coworkers want to cause physical harm to my boss.

1 comment:

Keeping The Faith said...

Jaimie, So sorry to hear about your day. You definitely haven't been able to just sit back and relax during this pregnancy (w/ work, health issues, etc.) I hate confrontations w/ co-workers or boss's. I know how unpleasant that must have been. I hope the rest of your week goes much better!

Will you able to take some time off after the baby arrives? Thinking of you!

-Faith