Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Good news?

My husband called me yesterday while the needles were being stuck into my face. There is clearly a sign on the wall that asks you to please turn off your cell phone for the consideration of other patients. Oops. I apologized profusely but I think a couple of needles may have been put in more like darts than gently placed as before. My mistake. It will probably happen again. So then it isn't as relaxing as you sit there embarrassed and your phone keeps beeping because of the missed call. But I texted my husband (from the bathroom) that I would call him after I got my back adjusted.

So I call and he is so excited and tells me he has good news! My thoughts immediately swing towards our baby. Maybe he miraculously has the baby's room cleaned out. Maybe they called and said the crib is no longer on back order. Maybe the daycare called and said you HAVE a spot. Maybe his dad got all the parts and is ready to start the body work on my car. Maybe... I get a lot of thoughts in before he blurts out that HE BOUGHT A FREAKING CAR!!! This is not what I define as good news at the moment. Yes, I know he has wanted a car that he can drive back and forth to work to save money on gas and wear on the pickup that already has over one hundred thousand miles and still a sizable loan balance. But I am concerned about paying for all the stuff for the baby, not insurance, taxes and licensing, and repairs on yet another stinking vehicle. Again, our priorities don't seem to match. At least the car was cheap. But then I worry because it was cheap. He already had the title in hand when he called so there was no discussing the issue. He bought it from another guy that works for the railroad. He hasn't been there much longer than Mike and he too was a mechanic before he went to the RR. The car needs new front tires and then mostly just a good cleaning. The guy has seven cars at his house and for his wife's sanity he is trying to get rid of several of them. It is a Dodge Intrepid, so it is actually pretty big, but he claims it gets 22mpg city, and 31mpg highway. We will see. It could do a lot worse than that and still be a lot better than the pickup because if we are luck it gets 14-15 on the highway. Not a good work vehicle I do know, but still he is spending where we can ill afford. The guy is nice though. He is going to let Mike pay him a hundred dollars a month for five months and if Mike thinks the car is a piece of crap he can bring it back and he will give him his money back.

When I took the dogs out this morning the car scared me because I forgot it was there. I am not used to the idea yet. The thing that really bothers me is that I feel that Mike still doesn't have his priorities right yet. That scares and worries me. It also leaves me feeling disappointed in myself because of the expectations I have set for someone else.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Hmmmm...sounds sooooo familiar. I came home last week to find that my husband bought a new commercial-size lawn mower. Just what we need right now!!! But, I did feel quite sorry for him out there drenched in sweat using our little mower before...but still, we've got a nursery to fill and bills, bills, bills!! Oh well.
Daniel's mom had an Intrepid and really liked it. And the payment plan sounds like a great deal. I hope it all works out!
BTW...thanks for keeping us all in your prayers, it is much-appreciated :)

Keeping The Faith said...

Sometimes men are in such a different universe.... I would have been upset if my husband bought a car out of blue without running it by me and especially when there is so much else to worry about w/ the arrival of your first child. If I were you I'd be sticking reminder post-its everywhere...in his car, on the bathroom mirror, on the toilet seat...."Clean nursery, set up crib, choose name"...yadda yadda but I'm evil like that. I might even forget to make him dinner...oops... must have slipped my mind. Or do the laundry..you get the drift.

The days are counting down for you. I hope everything gets done so you don't have anything to worry about other than taking care of you and the baby. Any name announcements yet?

Thanks for checking in on me yesterday! It's so nice to have such great friends...too bad we don't live closer in real life.

-Faith