Thursday, January 10, 2008

Not a good start!

Well, we debated and debate how much I should take out in my flex account this year because I was so far off last year. Looks like I was wrong again this year and it is only January 10th! Monday night, actually Tuesday morning, I woke up because Jake was coughing. I got up with him and fed him and he had this crappy cough. It was new, he hadn't had it before. I could hear secretions trying to clear when he coughed and then his little airway would plug. He couldn't do anything for a second or two or what felt like a million and then he broke it free. This happened a few times over the next few hours and I debated and debated taking him to the ER. I held him and he slept upright and was breathing fine. That is, when I wasn't having to put him down to run to the bathroom to get sick. Mike and I both got terribly sick within about 30 minutes of each other. We were violently ill for hours. I put Jake back in his bed when he was doing better and I was so exhausted I couldn't stay awake any longer and I slept for about an hour. Mike came and woke me up because he was so sick his muscles were starting to cramp. So I got up then and called in sick (I don't remember the last time I did that). I also told my boss I was going to the ER. So I get everyone ready and carried Jake out. Mike would have had me carry him out too if I could.

So it we were all patients. We were put in two different rooms, but at least my room had the bathroom and thank God for that! The doctor looked at Mike and then me and gave us the same thing and said we had a virus and we would get better in a few days. He acted like I was being a nervous nelly mom about Jake though. Well, his "just a little cough" turned out to be pneumonia and he ended up getting admitted for a couple of nights. It was so terrible. My poor baby was sick and he needed me and I was so sick and so tired that I could barely take care of him. He would want me to pick him up and I would lean into his crib and hold him because I was so weak I didn't think I could actually pick him up. Or I would be weak and so tired I thought I would fall asleep and drop him. My poor boy! I still feel really bad. I am still having to take zo.fran and lom.odil and they start wearing off before the next dose is due.

Jake acted like he felt the best of the three of us even when we went in. Now he is better and Mike and I are still sick. Poor baby though. He got three days of IV antibiotics and now we have a week of orals to give him. I have to give him breathing treatments and he is so good for that. He just loved all the women up there taking care of him. He flashed big old grins until he had them eating out of the palm of his little hand.

We got home this afternoon and Mike and were sitting trying to recover. The house looked like a bomb had gone off because Mike had been picking up after himself while I was staying in the hospital with Jake. I just kept smelling a fool smell. I asked Mike if he had gas and he said no. I asked him if he could smell it and he couldn't of course. Well I came down to the computer and I started a load of wash. Pretty soon after the wash started I could hear water hitting the floor. I could see it dripping off some plumbing. Great! Just what we need! Then I went up to the bathroom to see about the water up there. I found sewage had backed up in the bathtub and that is what I was smelling. Gross! We had to call a plumber and get them here to snake the line to the tank. Bring the baby home to this. I just wanted to cry yet again.

No comments: