Sunday, January 20, 2008

Griping #700 or so it seems

I am all over the place these days. Jake has been a little bear, but at least he is better. These top teeth are a lot worse than the bottoms were for us. I can't wait for the rest of them! I doesn't seem there is anything that makes him happy for more than about two minutes.

Work has been awful. We got presented with our "raises" just after Christmas. Yes, the normal areas of the hospital are going to experience nice raises. They have made weekends and shift work much more tolerable to those areas. However, the two departments that bring the most revenue, surgery and radiology, have been dealt a big blow. We are getting pay cuts. They have cut our on call pay. The hours we worked after our regular shift were paid to us in double time and now it has gone to time and a half. This is a SERIOUS blow to us. It also makes having to work call much less attractive, not that it was wonderful before. At least we felt like we were getting compensated for some of the horrible things we have to do. We have the potential for earning a partial extra shift bonus if we work a ton when we are on call but there are so many stipulations that it is going to be extremely rare for us to qualify. So this has made morale that was just barely picking up from an all time low, plummet to a level never before imaginable. Most of us have swallowed this bitter pill and still have indigestion but there is one that spewing bile all over. (get the picture). This fellow (there are only two brave, or crazy, guys in our department) is being totally inappropriate and our boss is doing nothing. He is carrying on and on and on. At every available opportunity he spouts off - during surgeries to doctors, while you are trying to get cases going, while you are cleaning up. We have a book where we are supposed to write positive things and he has put things in there. We have a communication board and he has written things on it. He has put hostile comic strips in the break room. But Friday, he finally went too far I think. He messed with the charge nurse. It doesn't matter what the rest of us say. We have been told he just needs some time to cool off. But this time he "vandalized" a flier put up by the charge nurse from a committee she is on. I don't remember what it said exactly but it was about treating each other with courtesy. The whole point of this committee is to try and improve morale throughout the hospital and to encourage departments to get to know one another and work together better. It will be interesting to see what happens this week!

This week I did three tubals one day. The first one was only 21 years old. She has three children. The next one I did was literally two weeks younger than me. This was her ninth pregnancy and fifth baby. I had very mixed emotions. I felt great sadness for any one to suffer four miscarriages. I tried to imagine my life with five children and I just couldn't fathom it. The next patient was a few months younger than me and she had just given birth to her third child, but the first with her fiance. She said that between the two of them this is their fifth child. Yet another situation I just couldn't imagine myself in right now. Thank goodness I am not in these positions but it gets me thinking. What do I want? Do I want another baby? Yes and no. I love children and I think I want another one, but I am terrified of going through the whole process again. What will happen? How long will it take to get pregnant this time? What if I can't get pregnant? What horrible things will happen to me this time? How do I take care of Jake? When do we start? What about Jake? I already wish I could give him more time and attention. I want to give him everything I can and maybe that means he should be an only child. I always wished I had a sibling that was closer to my own age and thought I would do that for my own baby. How are we going to pay daycare for two???

On a good note, we still have a lot of details to work out, but it looks like we are going to have a different place to live soon. Someone I worked with has a house that is going to be up for sale soon. His youngest daughter graduates from high school this year and he has been working at a different hospital for about a year and a half I think. He bought another house there some time ago so his wife will finally get to join him at the end of the school year. The problem is we still haven't recovered financially from this past year. The solution, well, if we can come to an appropriate agreement, we will rent the house for one year and then buy it with the rent applying toward ownership. I imagine we will be able to come up with an agreement. The housing market isn't great in this area for sellers and he knows that. He knows we know that too. So hopefully we can work something out. It is a much nicer and a larger home than we are in.

2 comments:

Nurse Lochia said...

Why is it that hospitals treat nurses the way they do? The one I work at goes on and on about how we are the "backbone" of the hospital. But then they give tiny raises and screw with stuff like call pay, mandatory call, etc as well. Sooo frustrating.

Kirsten said...

That sucks about the pay cuts, but sounds like you are taking it well professionally, which says a lot. I'm afraid I might act like the guy if they cut my pay!! Actually, they might be doing that...I will find out this week.
I still can't get over how many teeth Jake has!! But it makes me dread the day Chayse & Landry's start coming in!!!