Monday, February 05, 2007

feeling a bit better

Despite my weekend of work, I am feeling a bit better. Apparently taking more and more prilosec helps me. I am hoping that it is also time. I am 11w6d today and I am hoping, praying that things are just starting to get better. I didn't vomit yesterday and I haven't so far today. I was able to eat cautiously on Saturday. Yesterday I was able to scarf just about anything when I actually had the opportunity to eat. Today I am hungry.

I am still a shit magnet for call, but it really wasn't that bad. I was able to go home a little after 1800 on Friday and didn't get called back all night. I did have to come in on Saturday when for the first time in at least four years I was going to be home oncall (because my weekend is FINALLY fully staffed with RNs). We had to open a second room on Saturday to get the work done in a reasonable fashion. It is terrible to start the day on Saturday with a whole day's work because there are always emergencies and add-ons. We were still able to be out by a little after 1230 I think. Sunday was a different story. When I got to work to washout and infected hip I found Saturday's call crew still there in the mist of a mess. They were nice enough to tell us that we could leave them be and get started with our own day. We had five cases on already when we are supposed to be doing "emergencies" only. The other crew was also nice enough to do one of the five cases for us (4 out of 5 were the same surgeon) to try to ease our day. Of course, these are the people that we helped Saturday (not exactly by choice though) by working in a second room. We had to interrupt our cases to do an actual emergency but it wasn't too bad. One of our instrument people was nice enough to come in and give us a hand and that probably shaved 2-3 hours off our day. We were finished a little before 1700, but one of us had to come back at 1830 for a tissue retrieval. They couldn't come when were there and working, no, it had to be latter. My orientee and I came in and were there for another 5 hours. So I ended up with 15 hours yesterday. Of course the last five were spent finding things to keep ourselves awake. We don't have to do anything for the tissue retrieval, just be available to this team that has flown in and clean up after them. It was 2343 when I walked in the door and I still had to be oncall for the whole rest of the night and report back at 0615. We were incredibly overstaffed today and after a mere two hours I got to come home. Whatever will I do with myself?? Actually, my husband was home all weekend when I wasn't so I didn't get to see him. He hasn't gone to work (or gotten up) yet today so hopefully we can spend some time together.

No comments: