Thursday, December 28, 2006

How long is it going to last?

I am not feeling well. Morning sickness, which is hitting me more in the afternoon, is not going well. I gag very easily as it is but now... In surgery there are lots of gross things some people may think. Very little bothers me most of the time. I am not big on vomit and mucous. I don't do well with anything suctioned out of an airway any day of the year. I usually ignore it and it is fine. Right now however, the sound of upper airway suctioning is killing me. The sight of an ET tube coming out of a patient with secretions hanging off of it does me in. Part of my job is to be next to the patient while they are waking up and while the airway is being managed. These are not things I can avoid. I don't know what to do. Today, there happened to be two anesthetists in the room in addition to the scrub, my trainee, and myself. That was the only reason I could run out and vomit until I thought my eyes would explode. God help me. I am really tired of hearing that sometimes this lasts the whole nine months. Of course, it still doesn't feel real to me aside from the sickness and the breasts that feel like they are going to pop, and the need to pee every 5 minutes. Maybe when I can see the baby or get to hear a heart beat, then I will feel better about all the vomit.

No comments: