Sunday, December 17, 2006

Procrastination

I don't know if it was my procrastination or my mothers about my coming into this world. My mother was three weeks over due with me when I was born and 43 weeks is the gestational age I was assessed at birth. What would that be? I didn't want to come out or she didn't want to give me up. Regardless, I was only 19.75 inches long, but a giant 9 lbs 7 oz. I was covered in fat rolls, my skin was peeling off, and it was the only time in my life I had a tan (okay I was orange from jaundice).

My mother is a master procrastinator. I am not nearly as bad, not even close. My mom when to grad school when I was in high school and she would be frantically trying to get papers done the morning they were due. She didn't usually start them until the day or two before they were due. My mom was the master at obtaining extensions. Even still, I don't think the ink was dry when she turned the papers in.

My mom made the dress I wore in my sister's wedding. She had the fabric for months. She didn't even cut it out until the week of the wedding. She was very late to the church for pictures and I had nothing to wear in the meantime. My BIL has two wonderful sisters that can sew. They literally had to sew me into the dress at the church. I kept that in mind when I got married. My mom did do some sewing for me, but it turned out mostly alright. She was still more than 45 minutes late for pictures. The photographer did a really good job of distracting me when she was needed and not there. He was awesome about that. (he is very, VERY odd all the rest of the time, but he does beautiful pictures).

What is my procrastination? Christmas? No. Although, I don't have my Christmas cards mailed because the odd photographer has gotten my pictures to me yet. I ordered a small fortunes worth of wallet sized pictures that I very clearly said were to go in Christmas cards and if I couldn't have them early enough to mail, then I didn't want them at all. (they cost almost $2 each. maybe that isn't unreasonable, but it sure seems like a lot to me!) I have had the cards made, the envelopes stamped and addressed since the first week in December. I just did the letter last week, but I would have done it sooner if I had had the pictures.

My procrastination this time? My body. I wanted so badly, despirately to be pregnant by Christmas this year. I, as I believe I blogged, was heartbroken last Sunday when AF came for a visit. As it turned out, it was only a brief visit, like 36 hours and only about the first 18 or so were the normal visit. Then she left. I told my husband this on Wednesday. He asked if I could be pregnant since it wasn't the same as normal. He reminded me of a friend who thought AF was there for the first three months of THREE of her four pregnancies. I told him I would has my doctor since my body has been foreign to me since I went off BCPs. I did tell him that just out of hope and curiosity I did take a HPT on Monday and it was negative. I wanted to talk to my doctor's nurse because I was embarassed. I am a nurse, but I don't know what is going on with me. She was over with him in surgery and I worked with them, but she got away from me before I could asked her if just maybe... His second assistant wasn't one of the nurse practioners or the midwife I would feel comfortable talking to either. I tried to call his nurse in the office, but I got slammed down by the front desk. I think she could hear a waiver in my voice when I asked for the nurse and she knew it was personal not work related. She told me I would have to go on the list to talk to the triage nurse for the day. I didn't know her and I again I was embarrassed. So in the end, I sucked it up and talked to the doctor. He is the nicest man, but I feel like idiot. "Gee Dr. I bleed for a day and half at the appropriate time but that was it. Do you think maybe? Is it possible?" He patted me on the back and said I could "stop by the office" for a test or just take a HPT. I was getting my hair permed after work and I didn't want to do it if I shouldn't, dare I hope, I might be pregnant. He told me a perm was fine if I was pregnant. I couldn't get to his office, besides, they slammed me down when I did try to "stop by."

I did leave work at 1454 and run by the drug store and get a box of HPTs and ran home even though my hair appointment was at 1520. I don't know about anyone else but I have to pee in a cup to successfully perform the test. #1 two lines. I grabbed another one #2 two lines. I tried to call my husband. I was hyperventilating. I was numb and in shock. I couldn't think. I think I slapped myself and went to get my hair done. I appologized for being late and said maybe, just maybe I was pregnant, would it be alright to get the perm. She said it is safe. It is hair color you have to worry about, but not the kind we use on my hair anyway so I am safe to do that when I want as well. I left the 2 positive tests out on the kitchen counter for my husband to find when he got home (while I was getting my hair done). He was almost crying he was so excited. I used the test #3 on Friday morning and it was positive. Then I had to go out and buy a different kind with the digital read out since I couldn't get into the office until tomorrow. Just in case something was wrong with that entire box. #4 was positive too. I'm not sure we will believe it until we hear it from a dr's office.

Mike can barely contain himself. He wants to tell everyone. I wish we could wait until the first trimester is nearing an end. I said we need to wait until we have an ultrasound and a date. He can't wait that long. I want to wait until after Christmas, because I don't want it to ruin his sister's Christmas because she wants a baby too. I have him convinced that we have to wait until we have the word from the lab test and we have to wait until Christmas. I am barely, BARELY pregnant. I want to hold on to that and keep as my own for a bit. I am a wreck. I'm in shock, I am happy, I am terrified. I wake up because my breasts are so sore, they feel like a bicycle tire pump have been inflating them while I was sleeping. I HAVE been an emotional wreck this week. I just can't believe I got my Christmas miracle. I was accepting that I wasn't pregnant by Christmas and that we were going to need to seek some help.

My work Christmas party was last night and I made my husband drink a fair amount at the party to cover up for the fact that I wasn't. I was the DD since he needed to celebrate for passing is test and making it through his very stressful class this past week. The poor baby is not much of a drinker. Two beers and it is bed time. He had three at dinner and then we were supposed to go to a coworkers after party. We got there and there were 75 people and I only knew about ten. I didn't even see the hostess. That is certainly not Mike's scene and it was a bit much for me because it had been going for hours it appeared. It wasn't what I understood it to be so we left. We went over to another coworker's new house and laughed our asses off. Mike drank more than he has ever had in his life. We had a good time. The other place wouldn't have been fun like this.

So the spell check doesn't work and I really can't spell so I'm sorry, I didn't do it on purpose...

No comments: