Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Progress

Progress is a touchy word with me. It depends on where
it is being used as to how I feel about it. If I hear it at work then I know without a doubt the word is being substituted for "change." Now I have previously posted about feelings for "change." Progress at home is generally a good thing. That means something is being accomplished. Something is on the way to being finished, we hope. There have definitely been tasks in my house that have been started and not finished. I will not say that I am innocent here, but I feel most of the weight falls on my DH's shoulders. There are a few things in the basement that are still not painted. The office I am sitting in is in the "processes of being cleaned." I believe the "process" have taken six weeks or more. The garden is "being" cleaned up. The list goes on.

As I said, I am not guiltless here. There are clean clothes piled in a chair in the living room. (Please no one come to the door!) These clothes are infact Mike's and he could do something with them, but I did put them there. I am also working on organizing a room in the basement, or at least in my mind I am. There are the dishes in the kitchen that I am washing and about 2 dozen craft-like projects that I have started and not finished. I am, however, a multitasker as are most (or all) women.


Progress right now, is taking shape in our bathroom. Our house is old enough that a bathtub was put in but not a shower. Then later a wand was added to the spigot to make a shower. A water resistant board was put above the tile on the wall. That board is now rotting away. We both have allergies and I know there is mold living in there. We are ripping all that out and starting over. We are going to the studs and piping in a shower. It will be so nice for poor Mike. The shower isn't bad for me, but he is too tall. Plus we seem to get really sucky water pressure with the wands. So we are getting a new tub. There are almost fifty years of mineral deposits in the tube and I can hardly stick my feet in there with out being grossed out. (You would think my feet would be smoother with a built in pumice). We are getting new pipes for the drain!!! Mike already took down the nasty glass shower doors that I could never get clean. I have scrubbed the enamel off the tube and the finish off the shower doors. I seemed like I could never get all the mold out of the tracks in those stupid doors either.

The paint was literally peeling off the walls, or at least the outside layer of paint. There was this wallpaper border at the top that only the outside of the paper peeled off. So we have been scraping and sanding the walls. The wall behind our sink had been wallpapered years ago. (don't get me started on how evil I think wall paper is!!!!!) The paper had been painted over numerous times and was now all crackled. I thought the wall was falling apart. One day a piece dropped off and that is how we figured out that it was paper.

I came home to find that Mike had ripped out the carpet yesterday. I don't know what would posses a person to put carpet in a bathroom or a kitchen. My kitchen didn't have carpet and now the bathroom doesn't either. It will be a bit before I have tile on my floor, but it will be there! Carpet around a tub and a toilet! GROSS. I can't wait until the new tub goes in. I LOVE relaxing in a hot bath. I haven't been able to take a bath in almost 4 years. No wonder I am so uptight and cranky!

Let's just hope the progress continues!

No comments: