Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Check up

I can't tell you how much I love it that Jake sleeps through the night most nights now. I have gotten used to it and now when he has a bad night it kicks my ass. He slept so well Friday after his shots. He did well on Saturday. Sunday he was cranky and Sunday night was awful. He was sleeping and making this pathetic little cries. I went in to check on him and he was actually asleep. He was making sobbing noises in his sleep. I shut the door and the latch clicked. Damn. The screaming started and I don't know how long it took for me to get it to stop. If I held him and bounced him he would stop. I put him in bed and back to screaming full force. I rock him to sleep and I am falling asleep. I put him to bed and I crawl in bed. Twenty minutes later. Back to screaming. Longest damn night ever!! I think I got a total of maybe three hours of sleep. I brought Jake to be with me and if I didn't have him wrapped in my arms it didn't help. Mike had gone out to the living room to sleep and I got him to take Jake at 315 so I could get 1 hour of sleep before getting up. Mike feed him and got him dressed and kept him happy and let me sleep until 445. That meant he even took dogs out for me. He was able to go back to sleep when we left, but I was so grateful for that extra bit of sleep. Last night was a different story however. Jake woke up every hour and I had to go in and give him his pacifier or rub his tummy and get him back to sleep. I got up six times. I had to go to a meeting this morning but I didn't actually start work until 1000. I was going to take Jake with me this morning except he was screaming. Mike had to get up and take care of him and Mike threw a fit! He carried on about getting his sleep. Hello?? He went back to sleep yesterday and again today after I took the baby to daycare. He could have taken the baby to daycare. He could have kept the baby home! I had to help the new girl at daycare yesterday give a breathing treatment on someone else's baby and today I found out that another baby there was admitted with RSV. Jake has a cough now too! It is a dry cough, but a cough that could go somewhere. It would have been nice to have him not be in daycare when possible. Anyway, mommy is tired and going to bed in a few minutes.
Jake weighed in at 16 pounds 10 ounces and is just a touch under 27 inches long. He fits into the long and lean category. I am supposed to try to feed him more. He is doing a bit better with eating cereal and baby food. He won't eat any of the fruits yet. He does not seem to like juice at all and it is watered down of course. I talked to the doctor about weaning him and she discouraged me. What she did encourage me to do is pump and give him a bottle, you know so someone else can help me. I'm sick of pumping! She is encouraging me to do this so we know how much milk he is getting and then let him nurse to comfort suck. Mommy is starting to want to be done with it period. I have been taking steroids for a week and a half and my milk has dramatically decreased. I don't know if it will pick back up. I don't know if I want it to. For the first time this past weekend I couldn't produce enough milk to keep the baby happy. It was more emotional than I anticipated. I figured at some point it would happen, but I didn't realize how much it would hurt my feelings. The only thing that softened the blow was that I just had to open the freezer and grab breast milk. I think if I would have had to mix up formula it would have done me in as a failure as a mother. Do I believe that to be true? No, but my feelings were still hurt none the less. I was surprised. I mean I made six months right? That was my goal. To add insult to injury, two of the only three nursing bras I wear had wires pop out this week! Is that my sign??? I haven't decided yet.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

You did so great to make it six months...I never even tried it!! It's just something I always knew I wouldn't do...one of those things you either have in you or you don't. Luckily, we've had a lot of success with formula so I don't have the guilt that I thought I would.
And sleeping through the night is SO huge. Chayse has slept from 7:30 to 6:30 for months now and I don't know what I would do if she stopped because Landry is still waking at least once a night (and coming to bed with us!). Chayse has even taught herself to put herself to sleep so we can lay her down awake every night...PRICELESS!!!
It sounds like little Jake is definitely on the right track though. I'm sure he'll learn to love the fruits but, you know, now that I think of it, Chayse & Landry don't like the real fruity stuff, like cherries and strawberries...we do better with the milder things like bananas and pears.I hate giving them the veggies because they look so gross but I know I have to! I have the teachers give them most of their veggies though :)
Have a great weekend!